It’s maple syrup time in the Northeast. Enjoy a wholesome way to enjoy this natural treat for a special breakfast occasion. (But remember, it’s a treat – not for every weekend).
- 2-3 large baking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground allspice
- 8 slices wholegrain or multigrain bread (sliced thick if desired)
- 3-4 eggs (or use 2 egg yolks and 4 egg whites)
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 tsp. natural vanilla
- Add a little butter if desired (just a bit) to a frying pan and heat apple slices until tender. Add brown sugar, maple syrup and spices.
- Stir and cook til sugar dissolves.
- Pour apple mixture into a glass baking dish and put bread on top. Reserve this aside.
- In separate bowl, combine eggs, milk and vanilla. Pour over the bread mixture, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, remove from fridge and and let stand 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375o and bake French toast 30-35 minutes til firm and golden.
- Remove from oven and cut out French toast slices.
- Cover with apple mixture from the baking dish.
- Add a little maple syrup if desired. You can also add fruits on top as garnish.
(Recipe Adapted from Rise and Dine Canada, by Marcy Claman)